Couples tend to seek counseling when they find that there is an emotional distance in the relationship for one or both of them. The following are common circumstances that can cause strain on the relationship: unmet relationship expectations, a lack of quality time together, infidelity, parenting issues, sexual problems, financial stress, and resentments. All of these can cause a relationship to deteriorate which can cause a couple to question whether or not to continue the relationship.
The Adult Children Center uses a variety of strategies and techniques. We are here to help couples openly discuss relationship issues, help couples learn how to effectively address those concerns, learn healthier ways of interacting with each other, and gain insight into and understanding each person's relationship needs.
Below are behaviors we encourage and help couples implement to improve their relationships:
- Having fun together at least weekly.
- Making the relationship a priority over everything else.
- Scheduling time to talk every other day to discuss important issues.
- Being transparent and never keep secrets from one another.
- When arguments occur, avoid the following behaviors: criticizing, name-calling, guilt provoking, using the past as a weapon.
- Instead, learn the following healthy behaviors: when discussing a problem, say "This is my perception..." and avoid blaming statements. Listen to your partner's concerns non-judgementally and paraphrase their comments - this shows you understand her/him.
- Use timeouts to gather thoughts and to regain control of your emotions. Discuss the situation when each person can talk calmly.
At the Adult Children Center, counselors can address these concerns and help couples improve their relationships.
We provide services to residents from the following cities: Lombard, Villa Park, Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Elhmhust, Oakbrook, Oakbrook Terrace, Lisle, Wheaton, Westmont, Hinsdale, Naperville, Addison, Bloomingdale, Carol Stream, Woodridge, Willowbrook, Clarendon Hills, Chicago, DuPage County, Cook County, Will County, Kane County, Lake County IL in addition to other communities.
We are committed to your privacy. Do not include confidential or private information regarding your health condition in this form or any other form found on this website. This form is for general questions or messages to the practitioner.